LIGHTFAIR INTERNATIONAL ENHANCES PLATFORM TO CONNECT STUDENTS WITH LIGHTING INDUSTRY
LIGHTFAIR International (LFI), continues to enhance its global position with an expanded program designed to connect the industry’s future to innovation, education and today’s leaders. After three successful years, LFI will once again offer the LFI Student Outreach Program—with the addition of an exclusive lighting design competition at the 2011 event.
For the 2011 trade show and conference, LFI has not only strengthened the established student opportunities, but it has also expanded the program offerings. Partnering with Philadelphia chapters of the IES and the IALD, LFI will present Design With Light: Student Lighting Design Competition 2011.
The competition is open to all undergraduate and graduate students majoring in lighting and illumination design, architecture, engineering and interior design. They will be challenged to develop an original, unique and creative lighting design for a provided architectural project, as well as one custom, decorative luminaire to be used in the design. The winning team’s project will be showcased in the Lighting Education Lounge on the LFI trade show floor and in a window display at Macy’s Philadelphia flagship store. The winning team will be honored at an awards ceremony onsite and will have the opportunity to present their project to LFI attendees.
In addition to innovative programs like the design competition, the LFI Student Outreach Program offers numerous educational and volunteer opportunities on the trade show floor and in the Conference. Students who take advantage of this program receive hands-on experience and are exposed to the industry that will most impact their careers.
The 2011 student benefits are
- FREE access to the LFI Exhibit Hall and the more than 475 lighting exhibitor resources;
- Student Portfolio Review—industry professionals will provide critical input to students’ work for interviews and job hunting;
- Lighting Education MEET & GREET, where students, educators, industry professionals and supporters of lighting education are all invited to meet and mingle in the Lighting Education Lounge;
- Student TOURS of the LFI Exhibit Hall led by industry professionals;
- One free Seminar/Symposium out of the more than 230 hours of lighting-related education;
- A greatly reduced Student Full Conference Package (includes access to eight seminars/symposia, the LFI Exhibit Hall for all three days and the LFI Innovation Awards);
- Discounted prices to attend the Daylighting and LIGHTFAIR Institute courses;
- Complimentary New Attendee Orientation taking place on the opening day of the Exhibit Hall, May 17;
- Volunteer Opportunities at the LFI Conference in exchange for free courses.
Supporting these opportunities and all other educational initiatives is the Lighting Education Lounge. The lounge—a destination for students, educators and those seeking additional lighting education—features an information counter and displays material from universities and institutions involved in lighting education.
Students, educators and supporters of lighting education are invited to participate in and take advantage of the 2011 LFI Student Outreach Program. Those interested can contact Elly McCloud, executive director of Marketing, Conference and Attendee Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LFI takes place May 15-19, 2011 at the newly expanded Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia.