Lighting Application Engineer
Dow Corning | Seneffe, Belgium
The jobholder will support the growth of the lighting applications in Europe, more specifically by providing required support to implement innovation strategy for lighting market where application engineering activities are involved. He/she will be the silicone molding expert responsible for transferring Dow Corning innovative lighting solutions to customer trough technology development, prototyping, mold design and process optimization until customer qualification.
He/she will work on customer applications in fields like LED lamp and luminaries’ assembly and secondary optics using injection and extrusion molding techniques collaborating with lighting leaders, molders, mold fabricators, molding machine and equipment suppliers involved in lighting market.
In the role he/she will:
- Create, develop, evaluate & prototype new concept of secondary optics for customer validation and business development ensuring successful integration of Dow Corning innovative solutions in the different customer applications.
- Establish a strong network with molders, equipment suppliers and manage co-operation with internal and external partners.
- Interact with key players along the value chain and establish deep technical understanding of the value of silicone in molding of secondary optics.
- Implement and manage molding capabilities of lighting application lab.
- Generate lab data to share know-how with our key customers and/or generate Intellectual Property.
- Manage troubleshooting related to potential reliability and quality problems.
- Develop technical sales tools and training for other colleagues with customer facing activities.
- Continuously enrich application knowledge.
The jobholder will continuously have customer interactions, hands-on lab work, reporting activities, literature search, presentations to internal/external customers and create technical publications.
Desired Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate:
- has a master in mechanical or material science / chemical engineering
- has 5 years experience in injection molding, ideally silicon molding
- has deep technical knowledge of injection and extrusion molding processes.
- has a mold design engineer expertise, ideally in the field of secondary optics, covering design assistance transferring a concept to mold simulation and real tooling including mold surface finishing
- has hand-on experience in mold design and molding process optimization for new products ideally in optical molding
- knowledge and understanding of the lighting market and value chain, specifically lamp and luminaires and secondary optics is a plus
- understanding on silicone applications and chemistry is a plus.
- is hands-on oriented, willing to work in the lab
- has an analytical mindset with passion for innovation
- has an entrepreneurial and critical mindset to think outside of the box
- is customer focus and able to manage troubleshooting
- is able to interact in a multi-functional and multi-cultural environment.
- has excellent communication and presentation skills to manage internal/external audiences.
- is proactive, self motivated, self starter, result oriented and capable to work independently
- is well organized to manage several projects and able to work with structured style including documentation.
- as good skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- the knowledge of design of experiment is an asset
- is fluent in English and any other European language is a plus
- is able to travel up to 50% of the time
Posted 24 August 2012